- Oatmeal (and I’m not referring to the sugar-filled packets) contains healthy fiber and will keep you full for much longer than cereal.
- Switching from sugar to Truvia can be a challenge for your tastebuds at first, but you’ll get used to it in no time. Just remind yourself that it’s calorie-free!
- Just one can of soda contains about 180 calories and over 30 grams of sugar – 5 grams over what you should consume in an entire day. Although Sparkling Ice Water is carbonated, I love the sweet taste for cravings and it’s much healthier than the alternative (as in zero carb, calories, and infused with vitamins!).
- Butter is full of saturated fats, so intermixing coconut oil is an easy way to manage your fat intake. However, butter isn’t all bad, so just remember that moderation is key!
- Salsa instead of salad dressing… GAME CHANGER! I promise! It’s delicious and two tablespoons of salsa contain just 10 calories while 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing contain 146 calories. No brainer.
- There are a million spaghetti squash recipes going around Pinterest right now, and you really should give into the fad. It’s delicious, low in fat/carbohydrates/calories and full of fiber.
- White bread is made from refined grains and lacks essential nutrients. Whole wheat, however, is full of fiber and other healthy benefits.
- Do I even need to explain this one? Greek yogurt is delicious and contains an exponentially less amount of sugar. Big bonus if you are active, it’s also full of protein to fuel your muscles! Add some fruit and granola for an extra treat!
Biggest fitness misconception: you can out-exercise your diet. We all have those friends that run and run and run, but can’t seem to lose weight. Regardless of how hard you workout, if you don’t have the proper diet, it’ll get you nowhere.
I implement all of the swaps above in my own personal diet. They’re very simple substitutes that won’t leave you missing anything. In fact, I now prefer most the taste of most of the healthier options! Also, when you cut in simple ways like these, there’s more room to treat yourself when you want to!
On a final note, please do us both a favor and download “Whistle (While You Work It)” by Katy Tiz. You’ll add a little more sass to your workout and my heart will be happy to know I shared this amazing girl-power find!